Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Of Sunburns and Swimming Pools...

Have you ever wondered why it is that things always look so much different at 1:20 in the morning? I’m snuggled in bed with my laptop on the awesome lap desk my hubby got me for Christmas, happily typing through a bout of insomnia that just might kill a lesser (wo)man with a smile on my face. Geekiness will ensue shortly, but first, let me tell you a tale of sunburns and swimming pools.

The short story is, after a month of being able to glut themselves on the company of cousins, my kids are bored at home. Incredibly, incredibly bored. So, in an effort to break up the monotony, I played hooky this morning and took the kiddos to the wading pool at Perry Park. Between the pool, the picnic we packed and the fact that they ran into a pile of their school friends while they were there, I thought I was going to need a crowbar to pry them out of there.

I didn’t quite have to haul out the hardware, but for a while there it was a pretty close thing. And since I managed to completely flake out and forget to apply sunscreen before we left, there’s going to be hell to pay tomorrow. I know, I know, let’s just skip the part where I’m a bad parent and move on. It almost seems redundant at this point.

Does anyone else ever notice that their older children tend to drown out the younger? I felt bad, since Garrett was the only one who didn’t really latch on to another kid at the swimming pool, so I tromped upstairs to visit with him for a little while this afternoon. I’ve realized that the reason the child never talks is that the poor kid can never get a word in edgewise! With Alex and Chelsea talking over him all the time he probably thinks he doesn’t have a thing to say.

One month and counting until I can ship them back to school…

No comments:

Post a Comment