Wednesday, February 3, 2010

On how to write a murder

So, I finally did it. Today, I started the research for my very first book. I know, it doesn't sound like much, does it? For me, it's like a breath of freedom. I like ghostwriting, but if I don't start using my own creativity and talent I'm going to slowly wither and die.

Yes, it's melodramatic. I write for a living. Get over it.

What surprises me is how terrified I am to write this book. You, dear reader, will know what I'm talking about. This is the first time I'm going to take that step into the bold nknown on my own. There's no fictional name to hide behind, and if things crash and burn there's nowhere I can hide. It's all me!

So, even though you probably don't care, I'm going to tell you about it anyway. See, I love murder mysteries. I do. I love funny murder mysteries even better, which is probably a statement on my mental health I should really stop ignoring! The thing is, you get funny, or you get murder. That's it. I decided I was going to write a book I wanted to read, with all the dark humor and apathy you'd see surrounding a real murder today! And because I want to take the time to feel clever, I'm going to tell you how I did it.

First, I created a murder. A grisly, gruesome murder motivated by something much deeper than greed and stupidity (because really, if you're going to die anyway wouldn't you rather die in style?). Then I described my characters, right down to the lacy longerie my female detective is going to be sporting in at least one scene. Favorite book? Yep. Movie? Yep. Education? Yep. Got it all.

Now it's research time. Still working on that, because I want it to be good. I have to learn my criminal psych, my police procedure. Can't have my well intentioned detectives taking the wrong path, now can I? When that's done, I'm determined to write at least a page a day until it's finished. I have plenty of time for edits later, it's all about getting from point a to point z (and having a little fun with all the letters in between!).

Dear reader, if you're gearing up to write a book, I say....good on ya! Do it. Don't let fear hold you back. And let me know how it's going! Maybe we can share horror stories when the rejection letters come pouring in-because really, even well published ghostwriters like me have to get at least one on their first book. It's expected. I don't think I'll feel like I earned my dues without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment