Saturday, July 4, 2009

Maybe High School Wasn't Such a Terrible Place to Be After All


You know, I mock my high school. I often say there's no way I would go back, ebven if you paid me. I mean, seriously? No one willingly goes back to King George, VA. It's like one of those little towns out west that kids are just marking time in until they can take off for the big city. Remember that thousand miles of nowhere? Yeah, that's the one.
Tonight I sat on the back porch of a woman I used to consider a second mother and who I haven't seen in almost a decade and hung out with a group of those same high school friends I always considered a part of my past, and you know what? It was really, really cool. We got to sit and remember high school memories while we each celebrated who each other had become.
Okay, that's way too cheesy a way to commemorate a night that was filled with beer pong, corn hole and yo' mama jokes. It was…awesome. It was, for one brief and fleeting moment, a chance to remember what it was like when I was free to sit around and spend time with friends without the pressures of life and parenthood looming over my shoulder. I got to kick back with my "date", my friend Jessica who I've caught up with online but haven't actually seen in YEARS and
hold the birthday girl's firstborn son in my arms.
To realize that Little Reed, whose twin brother I used to date but who always seemed hopelessly young somehow, is a mother now was amazing. Looking at that little boy I think I realized for the first time how far we've all come. There are no more college students, no more happy high schoolers. We're all computer nerds, cops, contractors, phlebotomists and veterinarians now. Most importantly, we're all adults.
Okay, that's a little depressing!
I'm too keyed up to sleep so I was going to sit down and write a huge post about this party, but honestly? I don't think I will. It was great to reconnect with everybody, and to reform bonds that I hope through the Internet and regular visits back home I'm going to be able to keep up with. I got to see Jess, who I realized tonight I missed a lot more than I thought I would, and see John Logendorf all grown up (which is amazing, might I add).
Tonight also marks the first time in a long time I've been anything close to drunk. Thanks Jess and Leah.
Short story? I found out that maybe, somewhere out there, I actually miss high school more than I thought I did. Or maybe it's the idea of high school, and the bonds and the friends that I formed there. Yeah, that sounds a little more like it! I really, really don't want to go back to those angst filled days, but you know what? I'm beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, King George wasn't such a bad place to be after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment