Saturday, February 7, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Have you ever wondered what it is, really, that makes us decide to make New Year's resolutions? Is it the need to believe that maybe this year we'll get a chance to fix the things that went wrong last year? Or is it the simple desire to have a driving reason to change?

Whatever the reason, unlike most years I've found myself caught in the whirl of post-New Year's resolutions. I usually avoid New Year's resolutions like the plague, because I know that I'm never going to be able to keep them. As the infamous Dr. Greg House says, "If you want to do something, you do it. You don't wait for a sound bite." I've always kind of figured New Year's was that sound bite, and a sound bite isn't enough reason to do anything.

This year, however, I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Want to guess what my New Year's resolution is going to be? (Yes, I know I'm a month or two late...life moves on, you know!) This year I'm going to learn to appreciate the moments in my life that take my breath away. I have a wonderful, loving husband and three beautiful children, a fantastic group of friends and a career that, although it drives me crazy some days, gives me a wonderful opportunity to expand my horizons while doing a job I love.

I've spent too much time in the past year dwelling on what might have been. The only thing that dwelling on what's not going to happen changes is me. I'm tired of it. It's time to let go. Those of you who know me know what I'm talking about. Those of you who don't, but are reading this blog anyway, let me share with you the most important thing I've learned this year.

Time doesn't stop just because things aren't the way you thought they'd be three, five or even ten years ago. Your life is what you make it, and each new day is the beginning of a brand new adventure. Whether you are friends, clients or simply people looking for something to laugh about today, I hope when you're done reading this that you'll shut down your computer, pick up the phone and call someone you haven't spoken to in a decade. Take your kids outside to play in the snow. Kiss your husband or wife like it's the first time, not the fiftieth. Do something silly, something you could never in a million years imagine yourself doing.

It doesn't matter what anyone says, we don't get any second chances. This one life, this one time around, is all we've got. Don't forget to take the time to look for the moments that take your breath away. I know I'm going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment